[Pythonmac-SIG] C++ ABI 1002/102 incompatibility with wxPython

Matthias Baas matthias.baas at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 00:47:00 CET 2011

On 25.01.11 22:24, Christopher Barker wrote:
>> You can find out the ABI version a particular version of gcc uses by
>> running the following command:
>>
>> g++ -E -dM -</dev/null|grep ABI
>
> Any idea how to see what ABI version a given binary was compiled against?

Hm, I don't know. The above only prints a preprocessor symbol, so that
one doesn't have to make it into the binary.
But I think that error message was specific to wx anyway (it was not a
generic error message from the linker, was it?), so maybe in general
that information is not recorded in the binary at all. Whenever I
experienced such an ABI mismatch before, it just resulted in a crash but
not in such an error message (but that always was on Linux, maybe OSX is
a bit different here...?).

I just saw in the docs that OSX 10.3.8 and earlier was using gcc 3.3.
The original poster said he's using 10.6.6, so couldn't it just be that
his user was using an old OSX 10.3 install and that's where the mismatch
comes from?
Anyway, I think there's two things to do: 1) ask that user what OSX
version he's running and 2) check all (C++) program dependencies where
they come from and what compiler was used to build them (if it was built
locally, check your build environment, otherwise check the documentation
that comes with the binary or ask the maintainers).

Cheers,

- Matthias -