[Pythonmac-SIG] How to get a Mac OS X version of Tcl/Tk rather than X11 version.

Lou Pecora lou_boog2000 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 24 19:14:21 CET 2011

I have an installation of Python 2.6.4 on my MacBook Pro (OS X 10.6) that by
default uses X11 windows and dialogs rather than the Mac version of those GUI
items.  In my googling and exchanges on other support groups I've come down to
the problem may be with the Tcl/Tk installation using the "generic" X11 GUI
rather than the Mac version.  Does anyone know how I can change that in the Tk
part of the python framework?

I think this problem came up in the iPython email list, but I didn't get enough
info from the messages there.

More Info:  The python framework is part of the SAGE package which I installed
from source.  I did this on my Mac Pro (system 10.4) and it works well with Mac
windows for matplotlib and Mac open/save dialogs for Tk calls.  But on my
MacBook Pro I get X11 windows and dialogs.  I want the Mac versions.

Even more info:

If you're interested, below is the original message I put up on the SAGE support
group and was told it's a problem with the type of Tcl/Tk installed. -- Lou
Pecora,   my views are my own.

I have an installation of SAGE (from source) on my Mac laptop in which using the
tcl/tk library to plot (using TKAgg backend) or call tk file open/save dialogs
calls the X11 versions and not the native Mac versions of dialogs and windows.
I want to get the Mac versions.

I posted about this on this list recently and now after a response here and much
googling I have the sense that the problem is that I have a SAGE package with an
X11 version of the tk library rather than the Mac one. I compiled SAGE from
source on my Mac laptop. That went perfectly.  I don't know how I got the X11
version since I also compiled SAGE from source on my Mac desktop where the
plotting and file dialogs are the correct Mac versions, not X11. The only
difference is that the laptop is Mac OS X 10.6 and the desktop is 10.4.  If that
matters, I don't know.

Does anyone know how to get the Mac version installed in the SAGE source-compile
installation?  I have not found an answer to this elsewhere.  I'm hoping someone
here knows how this is done with the source installation.

Thanks for any help or pointers.

-- Lou Pecora