[Pythonmac-SIG] My first Python Program

Chris Weisiger cweisiger at msg.ucsf.edu
Mon Jan 24 17:13:08 CET 2011

Your main issue here wasn't with Python, but with Terminal; you didn't know
how to use it to navigate your operating system and run files. You should
check out Massimo's links for more information on that stuff. Terminal is
basically like another version of the Finder: it can do everything the
graphical interface can do, but it does it by typing commands into the
command line instead of through the mouse and some keyboard shortcuts. Some
tasks are easier with the Finder; others are easier with the commandline. It
pays to be able to use both effectively.

(Terminal gives you a Unix-style command prompt, by the way, so the syntax
and many programs are the same if you're on OSX or Linux or Unix or BSD,
etc.)

-Chris