[Pythonmac-SIG] Python development on OSX

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Thu Jan 20 17:56:44 CET 2011

On 1/19/11 9:11 PM, Charles Hartman wrote:
>             Do I need/want to use py2app to distribute my app(s)?
>         Never happens.

> But this is where Bill J's use-case departs drastically from those of
> many users, perhaps most, and certainly the majority of those who need
> any help.

I'm not sure about majority -- who knows, really?

> Despite what's sometimes implied here, py2app is not a frill.

I agree. It's a really key tool.

One of the great things about Python is that it is suitable for:

Quickie command line scripting

Gluing larger systems together

Full on application development:
  - web apps
  - command line apps
  - GUI apps.

And on the Mac, you can:
  - build "native" apps with PyObjC
  - build cross-platform GUIs with wx or QT
  - build Unix-y apps with pyGTK
  - drive other apps with AppScript

Essentially ANY kind of development short of device drivers.

Is there ANY other language you can do all that with? (Ruby, maybe?)

So while py2app may not be "essential to the Python community on Mac",
it IS essential to a fair fraction of that community, and I think that
fact that you can do all these kinds of development with the same tool
strengthens its position for the other purposes as well.

> and certainly the majority of those who need any help.

I think that's key -- Bill's approach is fine one for some users, but
not what I"d recommend to newbies that aren't sure how to set a PATH.

The fact that there are a lot of ways to install Python on the Mac has
really been a pain for the community to support (and pretty ironic,
considering how the Mac platform usually is!). I'm not sure there is
much that can be done about it, but one thing we have mostly done is try
to use this list to declare the python.org builds as the "official" ones
and try to get third party projects to build binaries for them

If you need help with macports, ask on a macports list, etc.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov