[Pythonmac-SIG] Python development on OSX

Andrew Jaffe a.h.jaffe at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 13:38:41 CET 2011

On 17/01/2011 22:41, Tony Cappellini wrote:
> I do want 2.7 because it's a requirement at work.
> I want to have the same versions & packages to avoid compatibility issues.
>
> I can put Python2.7 in a different directory and leave 2.6 there but I
> want the 2.7 installation
> to be the default one.

For the purposes you actually mean, the python.org install does become
the default one -- you can install it so that it comes earlier on your
path (and I believe even this step is automated). In this case, all
packages installed at the command line (or by binary installers) are in
place for this build. I have not found an advantage to the fink or
macports installs in the last few versions of Python versions.

But it's crucial to leave the Apple-installed build exactly where it is,
as it is used by the system.

Andrew