[Pythonmac-SIG] a word of warning for pyobjc users

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Wed Feb 23 07:52:51 CET 2011

On 22 Feb, 2011, at 17:04, Kevin Walzer wrote:

> On 2/22/11 8:27 AM, Ronald Oussoren wrote:
>>
>> Don't install Xcode 4 when you use PyObjC for your GUIs and want to use Interface Builder.  The Interface Builder that's included with Xcode 4 no longer supports Python.
>>
>> I've filed a bug in Apple's tracker, but I have no idea if that will have any effect at all. It'll probably not help a lot, I filed the same bug just after WWDC last year and that didn't help either.
>
> Unbelievable. Apple's "scripting bridge" push, its claim of full Cocoa support for Python, Ruby, etc. seems hard to believe now. What other options are there? Specify your GUI by hand? Use the XML format from GNUStep? (Renaissance, I think)?

The easiest option for now is to continue using Xcode 3, and file a bug at http://bugreporter.apple.com/ to complain about this regression (I've already filed one, the more people file a similar issue the more likely it is that the issue gets attention).

I'm currently thinking about what to do in the longer run, specifying the GUI by hand is definitely an option although I'd prefer to use a GUI design tool.  Renaissance <http://www.gnustep.it/Renaissance/> would be an option for that.

Ronald