[Pythonmac-SIG] Problem with PyObjC memory usage ~

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Tue Feb 15 13:37:31 CET 2011

On 15 Feb, 2011, at 11:34, Fur Yao wrote:

> Hi, Everyone~
>
> I have develop a soft using Python to do something.
>
> So create a header .h and implement it with Python.
>
> Then I use  Py_Initialize and PyRun_SimpleFile
>  to load the necessary module by running 'main.py'.
>
> It works fine.  But I found it will couse a lot of memory usage( without Python about 20M and with Python it goes up to 50M or higher).

Looking into PyObjC memory usage is on my todolist, but I haven't gotten around to doing the work.

> I want to know how to release the unnecessary memory usage~
>
> Or I have to rewrite all the python code to Objective-C~

Is the memory use bothering you?

> And another question , if I use PyObjC in my project. Should I open my source?

No. PyObjC is released with the MIT license and that allows you to use it in closed source software.

> And if I open my source , can I sell my own opensource soft in AppStore. If so , which license should I use?

I'm not a lawyer and haven't studied the AppStore requirements, but as long as you own the copyright on the application itself you can  relicense your code as much as you want and hence sell it on the AppStore.  I'd be carefull w.r.t. including (L)GPL-ed code in your application though, the iOS appstore requirements are incompatible with that license and I'd be surprised if the OSX appstore were any different.

Ronald