[Pythonmac-SIG] Mac and Python (absolute begineer)

Kevin Walzer kw at codebykevin.com
Thu Feb 10 15:49:15 CET 2011

Hi Prashant,

Welcome to the Mac!  Please see some answers below:

> Q. How do I install python 2.6.6 on Mac? There is a build available on
> python.org.(python-2.6.6-macosx10.3.dmg). Is it OK if I download and install the
> .dmg file directly?
> Is it going to make 2.6.6 default one automatically or there are some post
> installation settings required?

The installer will update your ~/.profile to place the build of Python
on your $PATH.

> Q. I don't know if it's a universal build (python-2.6.6-macosx10.3.dmg) or not.

It is universal.

> As per py2app docs, make  sure that you use a universal build of python to make
> your app
> compatible for PPC and Intel. If above mentioned version is not universal then
> how do I get
> a universal build of python? Do I have to compile on Mac?

Compiling is not hard, but the installer should do the trick for you.

> If above is solved then installing wxpython is straight forward and build is
> compatible for both
> (ppc and i686) architecture.

Yes, wxPython does a good job of providing binary installers for the Mac.

> Q. In case you are building C-Extensions for python using cython or swig or
> anything else, how do you
> make sure that extension are universal and will run on both (ppc and i686)
> platform?

I'm not sure about Cython or Swig, but extensions build with distutils
pick up the settings of your Python installation and should do the right
thing.

> Q. If a package is deployed on 10.5.5, is it going to work on minor version such
> as 10.5.1 or even 10.4.x?

A package built on 10.5.x should run fine on 10.5.x. Backwards
compatibility (building on 10.5, running on 10.4) can be done but is a
bit tricky. Others on the list can help with that.

Good luck!

Kevin

--
Kevin Walzer