[Pythonmac-SIG] New to list with issues

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Fri Dec 30 11:32:59 CET 2011

In article <DF60A24F-77EC-4832-BFF4-09320A746A8E at roontoon.com>,
 Daniel Rahenkamp <dkamp at roontoon.com> wrote:

> On Dec 29, 2011, at 6:00 AM, pythonmac-sig-request at python.org wrote:
> >>
> >> I am new to the list and of course I have issues... I have run into a
> >> problem of which I find that I am a bit out of my depth in solving. I have
> >> upgraded to lion and python 2.7.2 and I have several scripts that I have
> >> been running for over a year as dameons are now crashing with errors that
> >> I cannot interpret. Any help will be GREATLY appreciated as I am dead in
> >> the water in terms of using Python. Below is the error and full problem
> >> report. Thanks so much.
> >
> > Apple's crash report is probably useless (but maybe there are greater
> > wizards than me on this list that can make any sense from it) - try to get
> > a proper Python traceback!
> > Maybe it's in the console.log
> > Did you try to run your scripts on the command line, i.e. not as daemons?
> > Can you show us (parts of) the scripts? Probably there are modules missing.
> > Did you run from a system Python before?
>

> Thanks for the reply. This is weird because Python does not fully crash but
> periodically it will throw the error I included in my last post but the
> script is still working. When looking in the console there are multiple
> entries with Python_<current date>.mini_crash with the same system crash
> report that I included. In this test I ran the app from the command line and
> not as a daemon but the results are the same. When I have tried python 2.6 on
> the same machine things run fine. The problem seems to be with the apple
> included 2.7 that came with Lion. Lastly I am not sure what you mean by "run
> from a system Python before" Here is a screen shot of the console messages
> http://screencast.com/t/qDjnMb3KYS Thanks so much.

>From the traceback, it appears that there is a problem with Python's
_scproxy module; that's an internal helper C module that provides an
interface to the OS X System Configuration framework to access Internet
proxy configurations for the urllib module.  You should open an issue
for this at bugs.python.org.  Please include the original crash report
traceback.

--
 Ned Deily,