[Pythonmac-SIG] translate applescript to appscript

Adam Morris amorris at mistermorris.com
Thu Aug 11 18:03:07 CEST 2011

Hello again, all:

I posted a question a few months ago and didn't quite get the answer I
was looking for, so this is my second attempt.

I need the following applescript translated into python appscript:

tell application "Finder" to "/path/to/file" as POSIX file as alias

The earlier answer given was:

mactypes.Alias("/path/to/file")

But this is not sufficient, because I'm looking for the "Finder
reference form", and it seems that mactypes.Alias returns an "alias
reference form" (See here for context on those terms:
http://macscripter.net/viewtopic.php?id=24575)

The ugly solution I'm using now is to manually build the Finder
reference form by parsing the string (folder('path').folder('to')),
and this is not sufficient either, because there are folders (such as
the /tmp folder) that are not "visible" to the Finder and so fail.

I don't know enough about the low-level stuff and I don't have time to
learn it, and neither does ASTranslate provide anything useful, so if
anyone could help or at least point me towards something that might
let me quickly figure out on my own (codes for POSIX file and alias?)
I would be very grateful.

Regards,

-Adam