[Pythonmac-SIG] PIL binaries -- please test

Matthias Baas matthias.baas at gmail.com
Wed May 26 00:24:54 CEST 2010

Christopher Barker wrote:
> Much to my surprise, I had a little time to build some PIL binaries:
>
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/855965/PIL-OSX-Binaries/PIL-1.1.7-py2.5-macosx10.5.mpkg.zip
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/855965/PIL-OSX-Binaries/PIL-1.1.7-py2.6-macosx10.5.mpkg.zip
>
> I'd really like folks to test them on as many different systems as
> possible.
>
> You can see these are for python 2.5 or 2.6, build with and for the
> python.org python binaries. They should have all dependencies statically
> linked.
>
> I built them on OS-X 10.5 (leopard), so they may not work on 10.4 I'd
> love if someone could test and see if they do, however, I no longer have
> a 10.4 system to test on.

I tried the py2.6 binary on OSX 10.4. The package installs fine but it
can't really load an image. When I open a jpg, I can read its size but
as soon as I try to load the data, I get an import error:

ImportError: The _imaging C module is not installed

When I try to import _imaging manually I get:

ImportError: dlopen(./_imaging.so, 2): Symbol not found: _clock$UNIX2003
  Referenced from: ./_imaging.so
  Expected in: dynamic lookup

I don't know what that UNIX2003 means? Is that a special version of
clock() that's not compatible with the one provided here on 10.4?

Cheers,

- Matthias -