[Pythonmac-SIG] [pythonmac-sig] python 2.7 tkinter using tk 8.6

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Mon May 24 11:00:16 CEST 2010

On 22 May, 2010, at 2:33, Stephen Gava wrote:

> On 22/05/10 1:21 AM, ronaldoussoren wrote:

>>> 2.7b2 for osx snow leopard.

> [...]
>> two different builds of _tkinter) and automaticly selects the right
>> version to use.
>>
>> What I'm thinking of is:
>>
>> have _tkinterpy that does:
>>
>> try:
>> from _tkinter85 import *
>> except ImportError:
>> from _tkinter84 import *
>>
>> Then patch setup.py to build _tkinter84.so and _tkinter85.so from
>> _tkinter.c while linking to the right version of Tk. This should only be
>> done when a special configure argument is present, if it isn't setup.py
>> should default to building _tkinter.so like it currently does.
>>
>> Ronald
>
> hmm, sounds great. i don't have the c expertise to patch cpython tho.

This wouldn't require tweaks to C code, just to a distutils setup.py script (the one in the root of the python distribution). The final version should add a new flag to the configure script as well, but I could add flag later on when the setup.py patch uses a global variable to check if it should build one _tkinter.so or a number of them.

Ronald