[Pythonmac-SIG] Still Unable to get my Python program working on the mac

Mike smartmike1 at gmail.com
Mon May 17 05:23:33 CEST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Janssen" <janssen at parc.com>
To: "Mike" <smartmike1 at gmail.com>
Cc: <pythonmac-sig at python.org>; <janssen at parc.com>
Sent: Sunday, May 16, 2010 10:11 PM
Subject: Re: [Pythonmac-SIG] Still Unable to get my Python program working
on the mac

> Mike, I looked back at your messages.  I find that things work best on
> the Mac when I don't try to install things that Apple has already
> installed -- just my experience.  Once you start doing that, you've
> almost got to take a couple of months and understand everything from
> source.
>
> There are also some red flags in your messages.  Using a non-Apple
> version of Python on OS X is one, downloading a new version of PyObjC is
> a second, using easy_install (for anything) a third.  Mixing PyObjC with
> Wx is a fourth, because it introduces issues about the event loop, but
> less red, because it is certainly doable.
>
> My advice would be to try getting this pyttsx module to work by itself,
> using the system Python on a vanilla OS X machine, first.  Only then
> make life complicated.
>
> Good luck!
>
> Bill

Thakns, we think we figured out that it's WX and Pyttsx not working right
together. Apparently, there's a way to have Pyttsx use ctypes. We found some
stuff at
http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/documentation/Cocoa/Reference/ApplicationKit/Classes/NSSpeechSynthesizer_Class/Reference/Reference.html
and
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1490039/calling-objective-c-functions-from-python
We can't seem to get it working though. How would we do this?

Mike