[Pythonmac-SIG] python.org 2.7rc1 problem

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Fri Jun 11 06:11:51 CEST 2010

On 10 Jun, 2010, at 20:49, Stephen Gava wrote:

> On 11/06/10 13:39, Ronald Oussoren wrote:

>>> i did a complete wipe of python 2.7 and all libraries and then a fresh install of python 2.7 and wx.  still get exactly the same error for Tkinter and wx.
>>
>> How did you install wx? wx won't work because AFAIK Tk 8.4 is 32-bit only on OSX 10.5 (the system I used to build the installer).
>
> from the osx package for 2.7
>

>>> this is osx snow leopard on a 64bit capable intel aluminium imac.
>>>
>>> i also double checked, and i definately never installed any 2.7 package other than the '10.5 or later...' one. i don't even have any versions other than that in my downloads directory.
>>
>> Try the 10.3 version, that installs a 32-bit only version of Python, most prebuild extensions are currently only available in 32-bit.
>
> hmm. neither of these solutions explains why the 2.7b2 '10.5 or greater' version of python worked fine with both Tkinter and wx...

That is odd indeed, moving from b2 to rc1 shouldn't change anything in that regard.  I'll have to look into this, but that will have to wait until next week.

> i guess i'll re-install python 2.7b2 again to double check, but this seems very odd...
>
> also, are you then saying that no-one running snow leopard on a 64bit capable machine is able to use Tkinter anymore if they install the python.org package for '10.5.. +' osx...?

IIRC not in 64-bit mode, the system version of Tcl/Tk 8.4 just isn't available in 64-bit.  Luckily you can use 'arch -ppc -i386 python2.7' to start python in 32-bit mode (This won't work with 2.6 BTW).

Tk 8.5 is also available in 64-bit mode on OSX 10.6, but that version isn't used by the binary installer because Tk 8.5 isn't available at all on 10.5 (at least not without installing another version of Tk).

<http://bugs.python.org/issue8798> describes how the stdlib could be patched to try both Tk 8.5 and 8.4, but it is sadly enough too late to get this into 2.7.   There is still time to get this into 3.2 though, if someone works on a patch (I won't).

Ronald