[Pythonmac-SIG] Built application not compatible with packaged .so files.

Tom MacWright tom at developmentseed.org
Mon Jul 26 14:45:00 CEST 2010

So, I'm running into the familiar zlib not available problem (with the error
message

7/26/10 8:37:21 AM
[0x0-0x980c803].org.pythonmac.unspecified.moas[34233]
zipimport.ZipImportError:
can't decompress data; zlib not available

And I realized that, like the rest of the errors that I was running into,
zlib was provided as a .so file in lib-dynload. And, go figure, copying the
'system' version of zlib into the application, like so:

cp
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/lib-dynload/zlib.so
.

Moves the application past this error. So, the question remains - why is
py2app packaging an application with 32-bit libraries that runs as 64-bit?
Or how can one get it to package universal libraries? Or a 32-bit
application? Or run the universal application as 32-bit? Because after this
workaround, I'm confronted by the error

7/26/10 8:39:02 AM
[0x0-0x9812809].org.pythonmac.unspecified.moas[34257] ImportError:
/Users/tmcw/Code/python/mapsonastick_env/mapsonastick/dist/moas.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.6/lib-dynload/datetime.so:
no appropriate 64-bit architecture (see "man python" for running in 32-bit
mode)

Copying all .so files over eventually just leads to python version hell -
because between the version of Python that comes with Snow Leopard and the
one from Python.org, a new library file was added - _scproxy in Python 2.6.3
( http://www.mail-archive.com/python-dev@python.org/msg42295.html ).

Thanks for any help,

Tom MacWright