[Pythonmac-SIG] uninstall python 2.7

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Thu Jul 8 23:06:31 CEST 2010

On 8 Jul, 2010, at 22:57, Vincent Davis wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 2:48 PM, Ronald Oussoren <ronaldoussoren at mac.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 8 Jul, 2010, at 22:03, Vincent Davis wrote:
>>
>>> Ok so my question is not only about python 2.7, and I don't
>>> necessarily want to uninstall I just want to download the svn and
>>> update. I do have numpy, scipy... and a few other things installed and
>>> I will update them at the same time. I am writing a shell script to do
>>> this so I was thinking that I could just completely remove py27 and
>>> rebuild everything but is this necessary (the completely removing part
>>> not the incremental updating :-)
>>
>> Do you really mean to say you want to update from a 2.7 installation to a 2.7 installation from the svn repo? In that case you don't have to removing the existing installation (or even upgrade site-packages), unless you change the architectures (switch to/from a universal build, or to a different kind of universal build)
>>
>> If you upgrade from 2.6 to 2.7 you don't have to remove the 2.6 install, 2.6 and 2.7 can be used side-by-side (both for unix and framework installs).
>>
>>> I guess there is just a list of files to remove but I couldn't find a list.
>>
>> That depends on the type of install. For a framework install (python in /Library/Framework/Python.framework) you need to remove "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7" and "/Applications/Python 2.7". Depending on how you installed and with what options there may also be symlinks in /usr/local/bin.
>
> Yes I actually mean updating from 2.7 to 2.7 from svn.
> I am running this install
> ./configure --with-universal-archs=64-bit
> --enable-universalsdk=/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.5.sdk
> --enable-framework
> Are there other options I should consider? What I mean by that, are
> there options you like or recommend. There is a lot I don't know about
> ./configure and the options.

The configure flags look fine, although I on't use the 64-bit option myself. I use '--with-universal-archs=3-way --enable-universalsdk=/'.  That one is usable on all systems running 10.5 or later, but doesn't support 64-bit code on PPC.

Do you use ctypes? I'm pretty sure there are bugs in libffi for darwin/ppc64, although I don't know if these affect ctypes. I don't support ppc64 in PyObjC because libffi caused exception handling there (at least the last time I tried running on such a system).

Another option that might be useful when you're experimenting is '--with-framework-name=NAME'. That allows you to rename 'Python.framework' to something else, which allows you to test if a new checkout results in a workable installation before you upgrade the real install.

> It's not that I plan to do this often, but I want a shell script that
> installs everything I want. I figure I need to right it down somewhere
> it might has well be in a script. I plan to host this on github to
> share with others.

I have a script that builds a lot of frameworks here: <http://svn.red-bean.com/pyobjc/trunk/pyobjc/build-support/build_frameworks.py>. The script builds debug builds of python for a number of architectures and python versions.

Ronald