[Pythonmac-SIG] What to build binaries for???

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Wed Jan 6 01:16:25 CET 2010

Hi folks,

Another poster on the numpy list has been bitten by the "must have the
system python" issue with the binary installer, meaning the python.org
build.

1) I thought I provided a patch a good while ago to update that message
-- did that get lost in the shuffle?

2) we're talking on that list about implementing what Robin Dunn has
done for wxPython -- a single installer that puts numpy somewhere, then
puts *.pth files in both the Apple and Python.org Pythons, so that a
single installer will work with both.

But now we have issues as to what to support: 32+64 bit, PPC + intel.
wxPython is strictly 32 bit, so it's a bit easier.

What is being delivered now? Is there a 64 bit build at Python.org? What
has Apple delivered with 10.6 and 10.5?

Are we going to need multiple installers, maybe 32 and 64 bit?

This was messy enough a couple years ago!

What do you folks suggest?

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov