[Pythonmac-SIG] ANN: py2app 0.5

Russell E. Owen rowen at uw.edu
Mon Aug 2 23:55:21 CEST 2010

In article <2E51FD64-BD00-4BD6-BCA8-89E48A672FA7 at mac.com>,
 Ronald Oussoren <ronaldoussoren at mac.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've just uploaded py2app 0.5 and new versions of altgraph, modulegraph and
> macholib. I hope this solves most issues with py2app.   "easy_install-X.Y -U
> py2app" should install the software for you (where X.Y is your favorite
> version of Python)
>
> There is one new feature in this release: experimental support for python 3.
>  This basicly means that I managed to build a single application as a
> standalone application bundle, without much testing.   Alias builds and
> plugin bundles almost certainly don't work (the first because alias builds
> use the Carbon module which isn't available in python 3, the latter because I
> had to rewrite the C code in the application bundles and probably have to do
> the same for plugin bundles).
>
> Ronald---------------------------------------------------------------------

It works for me.

I updated to py2app 0.5.2 using:
pip install --upgrade py2app

I then removed an extra blank __init__.py file I'd put in my zope
directly to work around an issue with my earlier py2app (zope.interface
was installed using pip, which uses a complex .pth file).

Finally I build a complex application with py2app and it worked
perfectly (I double checked by moving my Python Tcl and Tk frameworks
out of the way).

Thank you very much for the update!

-- Russell

P.S. I'm curious about the virtualenv improvements. I use virtualenv to
develop my code, but when I've got the appropriate environment set up if
I build the application using py2app I always get the appended traceback
(even witih py2app 0.5.2).

To work around it I have my setup.py script add a few necessary bits to
sys.path and I build from a fresh login with no virtual environment set
up.

No big deal, but if there is a way to make the build work even when the
required packages are setup using virutalenv, I'd like to know about it.

Building Mac version
*** using recipe: virtualenv ***
*** using recipe: PIL ***
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File
"/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/site-pac
kages/py2app/build_app.py", line 589, in _run
    self.run_normal()
  File
"/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/site-pac
kages/py2app/build_app.py", line 645, in run_normal
    self.process_recipes(mf, filters, flatpackages, loader_files)
  File
"/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/site-pac
kages/py2app/build_app.py", line 559, in process_recipes
    rval = check(self, mf)
  File
"/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/site-pac
kages/py2app/recipes/matplotlib.py", line 5, in check
    mf.import_hook('pytz.zoneinfo', m, ['UTC'])
  File
"/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/site-pac
kages/modulegraph/modulegraph.py", line 401, in import_hook
    m = self.load_tail(q, tail)
  File
"/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/site-pac
kages/modulegraph/modulegraph.py", line 464, in load_tail
    raise ImportError, "No module named " + mname
ImportError: No module named pytz.zoneinfo