[Pythonmac-SIG] 32/64 bit intel universal build

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Thu Oct 29 13:16:23 CET 2009

On 29 Oct, 2009, at 13:13, Robin wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 8:37 PM, Ronald Oussoren <ronaldoussoren at mac.com> wrote:
> That's because Apple's pythonw is a completely different executable than the python.org one.
>
> I'm working on a replacement for pythonw in 2.7 and 3.2 that will allow you to use the arch command to select an architecture. That version also works with 2.6, but I don't think I'll be able to sneak it into 2.6.5 because the new executable is not 100% backward compatible with the current one.
>
> Thanks very much - I dropped the replacement pythonw.c from the ticket into Mac/Tools and rebuilt the Framework and now everything works as expected (I had to change the hardcoded python path to 2.6).
>
> Is this likely to work with virtualenv (it seems to but haven't tried too much yet).

This should work as well as the current pythonw with virtualenv. The last time I checked, which is quite a while back, virtualenv didn't support the pythonw executable at all but always copied the "real" interpreter.

My new pythonw contains hooks that should make it possible to have virtualenv do the right thing w.r.t. executables. Writing a patch that implements this is one thing I want to do before merging the new pythonw.

Ronald