[Pythonmac-SIG] Installing Pygame

Bill Janssen janssen at parc.com
Tue Jun 30 02:07:30 CEST 2009

My two cents:

Don't try to install a new Python on OS X.  Just use /usr/bin/python.

arthamax at sbcglobal.net wrote:

> I am using a Mac PPC with Tiger 10.4.11 and I recently downloaded and
> installed Python 2.6.2. and I am having difficulties getting started.

What are you trying to do, learn Python?  If so, don't mess around with
games or any other package that requires you to use lots of extra
packages that don't come with the standard Python.  The Python that
comes with Tiger is 2.3.5, a bit out of date but very stable and a good
starting point.  Work through the Python tutorial at
http://www.python.org/doc/2.3.5/tut/tut.html.

> I purchased "Python Programming, 2nd Ed. for the absolute beginner" by
> Michael Dawson because he uses games to teach programming and the
> book got great reviews at Amazon.com.

Well, games are great, once you know what you're doing.  One step
at a time.

I don't see any pygame downloads for 10.4, so I wouldn't try to use it
till I had some understanding of how to build it from scratch.

Bill