[Pythonmac-SIG] py2app - After building for distribution, No module named PyObjCTools

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Wed Feb 11 18:18:45 CET 2009

Ronald Oussoren wrote:
> One of the things I'd like to see is a set of functional tests for
> py2app, even if that only consists of a collection of sample
> applications that use the various libraries in common use, such as:

> * A wxWidgets application

I've got lot's of little wx apps we could use -- just tell me where to
put them.

> * Applications using matplotlib

This is a bit tricky -- MPL uses multiple back-ends, so we might need:

one using wx
one using TK
one using the new Cocoa back-end.

At least we can stick with just numpy now!

> Lack of a proper testing infrastructure is a major issue for py2app at
> the moment, it is way to easy to accidently break something when
> changing the py2app code base. Having a set of test applications would
> at least make it easier to ensure that nothing gets accidently broken.

Do you have any ideas about how to runs tests automatically? As many of
these are GUI app issues, it would be nice to be able to test without
having to do a bunch of point and clicking. Maybe just knowing they
start without errors is good enough -- particularly if they are written
so that the toolkit in question is well exercised, by default, at startup.

Also -- any plans to support eggs? I'm using py2app to bundle up a
Pylons-based app (web framework). It makes heavy use of eggs (and
pkg_resources, the real problem), and I had to write a lot of extra code
to get everything I needed included.

It's worth looking at what bb-freeze is doing -- they're using
modulegraph too. I'd like to see a py2app -- bbfreeze merger, in fact.

It seems the app building process has two distinct parts:

1) figuring out what to include

2) bundling it all up

(1) is pretty platform dependent, so I"d love to see it the same in a
tool for all platforms.
   -- OK figuring out which shared libs to include is probably platform
dependent...

(2) is going to b totally different on the different platforms, but
we've got the basic code on all platforms now anyway.

I say this based on my recent experience bundling a challenging app for
Mac an Windows -- I used py2exe and py2app. While they both have a
similar API, as son as I needed to extend what they do on their own, I
found that I needed to write totally separate code -- I'd love to no
have to do that!

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov