[Pythonmac-SIG] PyObjC

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Tue Feb 10 20:25:05 CET 2009

On 10 Feb, 2009, at 15:46, s s wrote:

> On Feb 10, 2009, at 9:08 AM, Ronald Oussoren wrote:
>

>> On 10 Feb, 2009, at 14:51, s s wrote:
>>
>>> I could help out with the website.
>>>
>>> Is there somewhere to download the site as it currently exists?
>>
>> It's in the pyobjc-website module in the pyobjc repository.
>
> Found it.  Looks like you're set up to rsync it to the SF server.
> If that's all the code then we'd probably be better off moving it
> all into Trac's wiki format.

Not quite, I'd prefer to keep the core documentation in the repository
as reStructuredText files, anything else (such as tips, tricks,
pointers to users of PyObjC and other sites) can be in the wiki.

The "core documentation" is the technical documentation for the brige
itself, the PyObjC intro and technical notes on the framework wrappers
(such as http://pyobjc.sourceforge.net/documentation/pyobjc-framework-Quartz/api-notes.html)
. These are closely tied to the actual implementation and need to be
kept into sync with the actual implementation.

>> I'm also experimenting with Trac on my machine, it's issue tracker
>> is much better than SF and would make it easier for others to
>> contribute to the website.
>
> Yes, the issue tracker's fine and having the site in a wiki format
> (spam protected, of course) would go a long way towards letting
> anyone with an interest help keep it up to date.

Spamming is definitly an issue, but I'd prefer to limit editing at the
start anyway (to anyone that bother's to ask for write access).

>> One thing I haven't found a good solution for is webedition of the
>> PyObjC examples (such as <http://pyobjc.sourceforge.net/examples/pyobjc-framework-ScreenSaver/SillyBallsSaver/index.html
>> >), I'd like to keep that part of the side while keeping the source
>> code in Subversion.
>
> A perfect project for a trac-hack though I've not personally ever
> done one.  Shouldn't be that big a deal and it is Python, after all...

That's what I thought as well.

> Any particular reason to leave the svn repository on red-bean?
> Might be nice to make a clean break and move the whole thing and all
> new development to some dedicated Trac hosting service.
>
> Anyone know what's the de-facto Track hosting option for open source
> projects?

There is a Trac instance for PyObjC at red-bean.com, except that I
recently broke that when I started experimenting with it. I will ask
someone to fix that for me. I'd prefer to wait with that until I have
a solution for the Examples portion of the site, I'm going to
experiment with creating a track-hack for that.

The reason I like to wait a little is that the red-bean maintainers
are volunteers and I don't want to bother them too much.

Ronald