[Pythonmac-SIG] IDLE fixes for 2.x and 3.x

Kevin Walzer kw at codebykevin.com
Tue Feb 10 16:03:04 CET 2009

Ned Deily wrote:

> The patches included have been tested on 2.6, 2.7, 3.0, and 3.1 as
> indicated.  I believe that, with these patches applied, IDLE.app and
> command line idle (bin/idle) on all of these systems will exhibit
> the same behavior regarding menus and key definitions.[1]  In
> particular, the often missing-in-action Preferences menu option should
> be home for good.

My version of IDLE (Python 2.6.1, Tk 8.5.3) shows the preferences menu
just fine, under the IDLE application menu. (Right under "About IDLE." )

I submitted a patch on this a year or two ago because recent versions of
Tk Aqua (> 8.4.14) hard-code in the "preferences" menu in that location,
and IDLE was showing it twice. My patch tested for the Tk version and
then loaded only one prefs menu.

I'm not sure if trunk versions of Python have broken this or not, but
please confirm the patch is needed before applying it.

> [1] One minor difference: bin/idle still has an application name of
> "Python" in menus and the dock while IDLE.app is "IDLE".

That's a function of the Aqua environment--when IDLE is double-clicked
from an app bundle, it's IDLE.app; when it's run from the command-line,
it's run by Python.app. Can't be avoided.

--
Kevin Walzer
Code by Kevin