[Pythonmac-SIG] Should Python.app be an LSUIElement = 1 app?

Bill Janssen janssen at parc.com
Wed Feb 4 23:26:06 CET 2009

Ronald Oussoren <ronaldoussoren at mac.com> wrote:

> > Whether we need to also upgrade the tutorials strikes me as a minor
> > matter.
>
> You'd have to modify every tutorial out there, including books. That's
> not
> really feaseable.

Python changes.  Tutorials need to keep changing.

> The right ways to fix the issue you're running into with appscript are
>
> 1) Wrap your script into an .app bundle that includes the LSUIElement
> setting (because appeartly you are writing an application that is an
> agent-style application)
>
> 2) Research why appscript causes the icon to appear on the dock. As
> has noted it should be possible to avoid that because the
> ScriptingBridge framework doesn't have this problem.
>
> The second option would be the most useful for the community, but is
> way harder than the first option.

Yes, both of those are good ideas.  But it's not just appscript; I'm
doing something else in a different program (that doesn't use appscript)
that also causes the rocket-in-the-dock problem.  This one is
particularly irritating, because it's a real daemon, and can't always
get through to the dock.

Bill