[Pythonmac-SIG] py2app with matplotlib

Brian Zambrano brianz at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 08:00:23 CET 2009

I've searched around and found some mentions of problems when building apps
with matplotlib, but didn't see any definitive solutions.

I'm trying to build a simple using matplotlib, numpy and wx.  My setup.py
looks like this:

from setuptools import setup

APP = ['plot_in_wx_test.py']
DATA_FILES = ['IMV_0.log']
OPTIONS = {
    'argv_emulation': True,
    'packages': ['matplotlib', 'numpy']
}

setup(
    app=APP,
    data_files=DATA_FILES,
    options={'py2app': OPTIONS},
    setup_requires=['py2app'],
)

# EOF

When I do:

brianz at omaha$ ls -F
dist/plot_in_wx_test.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.5/
config@            matplotlib/        site-packages.zip
lib-dynload/       numpy/             site.py@

Yet, when I try to run
./dist/wx_mpl_dynamic_graph.app/Contents/MacOS/wx_mpl_dynamic_graph I get an
import error....the application appears to know nothing about any type of
matplotlib:

  File
"...../dist/wx_mpl_dynamic_graph.app/Contents/Resources/wx_mpl_dynamic_graph.py",
line 31, in <module>
    import matplotlib
ImportError: No module named matplotlib

Am I doing something wrong or is this a known issue?

BZ