[Pythonmac-SIG] Should Python.app be an LSUIElement = 1 app?

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Tue Feb 3 18:25:21 CET 2009

First:

I've read this thread, I've read the Apple docs (at least one level deep
-- I really don't "get" this stuff, and I don't have the time to learn
it all!)

I still don't "get" what LSUIElement is supposed to do, and what
functionality will change if it's set.

I did try setting it on my system, and saw no difference whatsoever in
my quick tests with wx.

Could someone (Bill?) summarize what functionally will change if this
change is applied?

I'm a bit concerned (as expressed by others) that while focusing on one
use case, that other, very common, usages could be effected.

For that matter, I don't really understand the use case that you're
trying to address.

Here's my guess -- please correct me:

Some python scripts that are GUI-free are calling some Carbon APIs that
cause the system to promote them to full-GUI mode, and that then breaks
things:
  - you get a icon in the doc, which you don't want
  - they are not shut down by the system when logging off/shutting down,
'cause they don't respond to the appropriate calls.

By the way, that later issues confuses the heck out of me -- why the
heck would anyone write a system shut down procedure that couldn't
override a non-responsive application? -- weird. (of course, Windows
does it too...)

Anyway, it's hard for us to comment on the proposal if we don't'
understand the issues, and since you are proposing it, the burden is on
you to educate us -- sorry.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov