[Pythonmac-SIG] Should Python.app be an LSUIElement = 1 app?

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Tue Feb 3 14:44:35 CET 2009

On 3 Feb, 2009, at 9:10, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:

> Most of *my* wxPython-based (actually dabo-based) tools don't even
> need to be an app bundle - doubleclicking some .py file is mostly
> enough. But I wouldn't like to loose some GUI functionality.

IMHO running the script shouldn't be the default action for .py files,
ever. I have two reason's for that: (1) most .py files I run into are
just source code instead of scripts and shouldn't be executed but
opened in an editor, and (2) this makes it way to easy to accidently
execute a random python script that you've downloaded from the internet.

I'm seriously wondering if having "Python Launcher.app" is a good
idea, and if we shouldn't scrap it entirely. If building full app
bundles using py2app is too much of a burden we could look into
providing an easier and more lightweight way to build such bundles.
The fully standalone bundles that py2app creates are very useful, but
I definitely see the need for very thin .app bundles as well.

Ronald