[Pythonmac-SIG] Should Python.app be an LSUIElement = 1 app?

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Tue Feb 3 00:09:36 CET 2009

Ned Deily wrote:
>> I'm thinking that the right thing to do about rocket-in-the-dock should
>> be to change the Info.plist of Python.app, to include the setting
>> "LSUIElement: 1".
>
> There's also LSBackgroundOnly.  That might be even more appropriate.

I doubt it -- the whole point of this mess was to allow apps full-on
desktop access.

Maybe we just need to return to the old python vs. pythonw distinction,
but with a different default -- have a python-no-gui option.

However, These changes don't seem to make any difference with my wx
tests - I suppose wx could be calling:

>> TransformProcessType() to override this setting and get
>> a dock icon for themselves.

Or I'm editing my info.plist wrong!

> ... setting it does have the side effect of making IDLE's menus
> disappear when launched from the command line (bin/idle).

This is no OK -- it may be OK for IDLE itself, but when people are
testing an debugging GUI apps (TK, or wx, or....) they should be able to
start a simple script at the command line without any restrictions.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov