[Pythonmac-SIG] Bundlebuilder--why remove it?

Kevin Walzer kw at codebykevin.com
Sat Dec 12 00:38:40 CET 2009

On 12/11/09 12:50 PM, Christopher Barker wrote:

> Also, my bundles are getting really, really huge as it is -- I'm not
> sure i want to go there with a quad build!
>
>> I have the files from Kevin to reproduce the issue but little time to
>> work on py2app.
>
> Any idea how big a deal it is? If BundleBuilder supports it, then it's
> got to be possible!

Bundlebuilder basically wraps up/copies the relevant scripts, modules
and frameworks into an app directory. To get it to work with 64-bit, you
just need to make sure you're running the 64-bit Python interpreter and
have removed incompatible bits (i.e. argvemulator).

py2app does a lot more, including running install_name_tool on every
binary in the app bundle. It's here that py2app barfs--it either says
"too big to relocate header" or "struct needs string length of 8, 16,
32" (it varies). It's here that the complexity of py2app's internals
gets beyond me. I've tried a few things to get it to work, but with no
progress.

--
Kevin Walzer
Code by Kevin