[Pythonmac-SIG] aemreceive/py-appscript and 64-bit

has hengist.podd at virgin.net
Tue Aug 25 19:28:19 CEST 2009

Kevin Walzer wrote:

> I've moved my Python work to a four-way universal build of 2.6 .1
> (64 & 32 bit for PPC and x86). Do py-appscript and aemreceive work
> under 64-bit?

The aem and appscript modules are 64-bit clean. The osax module will
only work on 64-bit if you use static glues instead of fetching
terminology dynamically. aemreceive's sfba module is 32-bit only; the
rest should work on 64-bit, though hasn't been tested.

> Looking at the aemreceive documentation, it appears all the hooks
> are there to do this, although this particular Apple Event isn't
> illustrated in the documentation, nor have I found sample code for
> this. Any advice is appreciated, and if I'm successful in
> implementing something like this, I'll post the sample code somewhere.

aemreceive should do if you don't need to implement an Apple Event
Object Model. Work through the tutorials, and if it's still not clear
then ask. If you plan on implementing an AEOM, look into Cocoa
Scripting - it's a bit of a clunker (and has been since 10.2), but
it's better than nothing.

HTH

has

--
Control AppleScriptable applications from Python, Ruby and ObjC:
http://appscript.sourceforge.net