[Pythonmac-SIG] aemreceive/py-appscript and 64-bit

Kevin Walzer kw at codebykevin.com
Tue Aug 25 04:17:54 CEST 2009

I've moved my Python work to a four-way universal build of 2.6 .1 (64 &
32 bit for PPC and x86). Do py-appscript and aemreceive work under
64-bit? It's not quite clear to me because they have some dependencies
on Carbon, and I'm not sure how Carbon works with a 64-bit build of Python.

What I'm actually interested in is using aemreceive to implement a "do
script" Apple event for Python, in which a Python app could receive a
"do script" command via AppleScript that would execute arbitrary Python
code. This functionality is based on the 'dosc' Apple Event constant,
and is part of Terminal's AppleScript dictionary (for shell commands);
Tk-Aqua also implements similar functionality that allows an app to
execute Tcl code.

Looking at the aemreceive documentation, it appears all the hooks are
there to do this, although this particular Apple Event isn't illustrated
in the documentation, nor have I found sample code for this. Any advice
is appreciated, and if I'm successful in implementing something like
this, I'll post the sample code somewhere.

--Kevin
--
Kevin Walzer
Code by Kevin