[Pythonmac-SIG] Pythonmac-SIG Digest, Vol 76, Issue 4

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Wed Aug 5 17:28:10 CEST 2009

Brendan Simon (eTRIX) wrote:
>> If you want to create a standalone app, you must install a standard
>> python (and the necessary modules), as you can't distribute Apple's.
>
> Really ?!?   I think you may be serious !!!

Well, it's certainly true that py2app is designed that way. In any case,
if you want something that can really act as a stand-alone, you don't
want it to be built with a Python that only works on 10.5.

>  If it's true it is close to
> unbelievable.  Isn't python "free" as a general rule ???
> This is a stinky thing that MS would do !!!

Apple has done no shortage of such "stinky things" they are NOT an
open-source company by any means.

> The "copyright" statement doesn't mention anything about Apple.

Python itself, and the standard library, are not copyrighted by Apple.
However, that doesn't mean that you can re-distribute an Apple-built
binary. Aside from that, Apple has added a couple modules that they do
hold the copyright on. I suspect that when py2app was designed, it was
decided to simply avoid any possible licensing issues.

There are plenty of other reasons to use the python.org build anyway.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov