[Pythonmac-SIG] Rocketship in the Dock

has hengist.podd at virgin.net
Tue Sep 2 22:51:33 CEST 2008

John Porter Simons wrote:

> I can run appscript from an interactive session and just ignore the
> rocketship in the dock, but when I run the same script from a Apache/
> mod_python, it hangs. Probably because Apache doesn't run as a
> normal user so it can't get a GUI context. This is a bummer, I was
> able to use rb-appscript from a web script, I wish I could use py-
> appscript...

You're correct that Apache normally runs under a restricted user which
can't access the GUI. I'm assuming you were running your Ruby script
as a regular user; perhaps you could use the same approach for your
Python script? Another option might be to use remote Apple events to
communicate with GUI apps running under a regular user. A third
possibility would be to run Apache as a regular user. The relevant
security caveats and cautions apply to all approaches, of course.

BTW, the Dock icon is a red herring here. Both appscript
implementations uses the same Process Manager calls. However, the
Process Manager only 'helpfully' upgrades processes launched from
an .app bundle, and while the Python interpreter is packaged as
an .app bundle, the Ruby interpreter is just a regular Unix-style
executable.

HTH

has
--
Control AppleScriptable applications from Python, Ruby and ObjC:
http://appscript.sourceforge.net