[Pythonmac-SIG] py2app and dependencies

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Mon Oct 27 17:25:34 CET 2008

Ryan Govostes wrote:
> I'm having some trouble with py2app messing up package dependencies. I
> built py2app from SVN HEAD a few days ago because the version
> distributed with Apple's Python 2.5 did not appear to support egg
> dependencies.

no version of py2app support eggs fully. In general, it supports eggs
better when the eggs are unzipped, so you need to be careful to install
all of your eggs unzipped:

easy_install -Z TheNameOfThePackage

you can tell if they are zipped of not by looking at site-packages --
zipped eggs are single files, unzipped ones are directories.

> Or should I do some post-build surgery on the resultant .app?

you may have to, but it should be a last resort. if your code (or code
your using) makes use of pkg_resources, you may need to post-flight
install the EGG_INFO stuff into your app.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov