[Pythonmac-SIG] Can't convert simple Python script to bundle with py2app

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Sun Nov 30 17:38:30 CET 2008

    >> Python (from Subversion trunk in this case) was configured using
    >> --enable-shared, but there is no libpython2.7.dylib to be found
    >> anywhere inside of the --prefix directory.  It does generate a
    >> libpython2.7.a file.  I'm not doing a framework build.  Do I need to?

    Chris> very likely, yes. Py2app was designed around the Framework
    Chris> build. In any case, it looks like you've got a static lib for the
    Chris> main python lib, and py2app with require a dynamic one.

Hmmm...  I just built a framework version.  I configured like so:

    ../configure --enable-framework='/Users/skip/Applications' \
                 --enable-shared --prefix='/Users/skip/local' \
                 CPPFLAGS='-I/Users/skip/local/include -I/opt/local/include' \
                 LDFLAGS='-L/Users/skip/local/lib -L/opt/local/lib'

No .dylib file was created.  I ran make altinstall then checked in both
/Users/skip/Applications/Python.framework and in ~/local.  Still no Python
.dylib files.  Then I scoured the Makefile looking for promising targets to
try.  I tried making both sharedmods and sharedinstall.  Nothing.

Thinking the --enable-framework and --prefix flags might mess up configure
in some way I reconfigured without specifying --prefix. make clean.  make
sharedinstall.  Still no dylib files.

Any other ideas I might try?

I finally just submitted a bug report:

    http://bugs.python.org/issue4472