[Pythonmac-SIG] Creator, type and other means of file detection

Henning Hraban Ramm hraban at fiee.net
Sat Nov 29 21:45:24 CET 2008

Am 2008-11-29 um 20:15 schrieb Bill Janssen:

> I think the modern Mac equivalent goes something like this:
>
> def uti_for_file(path):
>
>    import os
>    from AppKit import NSWorkspace
>
>    uti, err = NSWorkspace.sharedWorkspace().typeOfFile_error_(
>        os.path.realpath(path), None)
>    if err:
>        raise Exception(unicode(err))
>    else:
>        return uti

Thank you, I even found out what a UTI is supposed to be.
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Carbon/Conceptual/understanding_utis/understand_utis_conc/chapter_2_section_2.html

But e.g. an InDesign document gives me a dynamical UTI like
"dyn.ah62d4rv4ge80w5xequ" instead of something reckognizable like
"IDd4" or "application/x-indesign".
OpenOffice documents give nice UTIs like "org.oasis-
open.opendocument.spreadsheet", but some widespread formats like RTF
and PDF just give nothing at all!
Very strange.

Could you please tell my how I apply the "OSType" method to an UTI?
Something like LaunchServices.UTType.UTGetOSTypeFromString(UTI) ?

Greetlings from Lake Constance!
Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net