[Pythonmac-SIG] Python 2.6 eggs don't quite build as universal

has hengist.podd at virgin.net
Tue Nov 25 20:06:07 CET 2008

Hi all,

In the process of putting py-appscript 0.19.0 eggs onto PyPI and
noticed that the installer-based Python 2.6 distribution off
python.org, like the Python 2.5 that ships with Leopard, seems to
build eggs as universal but marks their filenames as i386/ppc.
Questions:

- Anyone know why it's doing this? (The Python 2.5 distro from
python.org correctly labeled eggs as fat.)

- I've uploaded an 'i386' egg for 2.6, but am still futzing around
trying to do a 'ppc' one on the assumption that python.org's Python
2.6 on a PPC box will be looking for 'ppc' in the egg's filename
rather than 'fat'. Anyone with Python 2.6 + easy_install on a G4/G5
want to try 'easy_install appscript' and see what it does? (BTW, if
you email me the resulting .egg off-list I'll bung it onto PyPI.)

- Anyone know if I can just change 'i386' in the egg's filename to
'ppc', or does it really have to be built under a PPC process? (I can
probably build a ppc-only python2.6 interpreter for running on my
Intel box, but it won't be tonight.)

Thanks,

has

p.s. Happy py-appscript beta release day. I'll put out a proper
announcement sometime in the next few days, and I'll also get separate
file releases of py-aemreceive and py-osaterminology out shortly as
they're no longer included in the py-appscript distribution.
--
Control AppleScriptable applications from Python, Ruby and ObjC:
http://appscript.sourceforge.net