[Pythonmac-SIG] Building an app with dependencies

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Mon Nov 10 18:38:58 CET 2008

Alexandre Quessy wrote:
> I am trying to build a Python Mac OS X application that has quite a
> lot of dependencies. We rely on wx, appscript, objc, zope, twisted and
> more.

That can be a challenge, I'm not sure how well all of those are
supported by py2app recipes -- but some are!

> Below I provide my setup.py script.

You've included a while bunch of stuff by ahnd. In general, you don't
want to do that. Py2app examines your code and tries to include
everything you need -- it does fail on dynamically imported modules,
however. Try running py2app with no explicit packages or modules
included first, then add just those that py2app doesn't pick up by itself.

 > I am trying to use py2app
> (version py2app-0.3.6-py2.4.egg)

you'll want the latest version. try:

$ easy_install -U py2app

> I am using Tiger, but I would like this to work also on Leopard,

If you build on 10.4, it should run fine on 10.5 (I get my cats
confused). Make sure you use the python.org Framework build of python.

Once you've tried a new py2app and simpler setup.py, then ask here for
more help, if you still need it.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov