[Pythonmac-SIG] Custom Installation with Distutils

newbie73 luis.cota at avmltd.com
Sat Mar 15 22:59:36 CET 2008

a week ago I was having some problems setting up my PATH variables, though
now I seem to have the environment under control.  I'd like to specify the
location for all installed libraries - python.org mentions the use of
.pydistutils.cfg.  I placed this in ~/.pydistutils.cfg:

install-base=$HOME/Code/python
install-purelib=lib
install-platlib=lib.$PLAT
install-scripts=scripts
install-data=data

When I attempted to install setuptools with this configuration, the
following error was thrown:
error: install-base or install-platbase supplied, but installation scheme is
incomplete

Looks like the header location could have been missing, though I'm not
really sure what else it could have been.  Is there some other way to
specify installation location that won't get lost when using SUDO?

Thanks,

- Luis