[Pythonmac-SIG] suggestions for an appscript FAQ

has hengist.podd at virgin.net
Thu Mar 13 01:47:26 CET 2008

Hi all,

As part of the current upgrade of the appscript website, I'm putting
together a list of topics for an appscript FAQ, and wondering if
anyone has any requests or suggestions for topics it should cover?
Both Python/Ruby/ObjC-specific and general topic ideas are welcome.

Here's what I've got so far; feel free to suggest changes to this list
as well:

APPSCRIPT FAQ

1a. What is appscript?

1b. What is AppleScript?

1c. What is a scriptable application?

1d. How does application scripting work?

1e. What are Apple events?

1f. What is an OSA language?

2a. What can appscript do?

2b. What can't appscript do?

2c. Can I use appscript to write Mail rules/folder actions/iCal alarms/
etc.?

3a. Is appscript object-oriented?

3b. But appscript code looks object-oriented, just like regular Python/
Ruby/ObjC code. What's the difference?

3c. Why doesn't the following code - e.g.
app('TextEdit').documents[1].text - return the value (e.g. text) that
I expected?

3d. What's with all the 'get()'s and 'set()'s?

3e. But AppleScript doesn't require 'get', nor does regular Python/
Ruby/ObjC code. Couldn't appscript just get values automatically?

3f. And why can't I just use '=' to set values, just like regular
Python/Ruby code?

4a. Is appscript better than AppleScript?

4b. Is appscript better than Scripting Bridge?

4c. Is appscript available for [your-favourite-language-here]?

4d. What are appscript's future plans?

Thanks,

has
--
Control AppleScriptable applications from Python, Ruby and ObjC:
http://appscript.sourceforge.net