[Pythonmac-SIG] A simple app: Develop on Leopard, use on Tiger

John Velman velman at cox.net
Fri Jun 20 01:15:02 CEST 2008

I'm a bit out of my depth here, new to Mac, comfortable with Python,
comfortable with SQL, but lots left to learn.

Problem:

My daughter is starting a small business renting a certain kind of prop to
the movie industry.   She needs to a) keep track of her stock, b) keep
track of rentals, c) issue invoices, and other stuff not yet fully defined.

She has a powerbook with Tiger.  I have an iMac with Leopard (10.5.3 as of
this afternoon).

We looked into Quickbooks (which was recommended by lots of people), but it
is clearly not adapted to her needs.

It looks to me like a database, sql, form, view, and report problem.   For
starters (time was short), I set up some spreadsheets on NeoOffice,
installed NeoOffice in her machine, and did the paperwork she needed by
manual sorts, filters, and so on.  OK, but for the long term...

My current thinking is (but I've a lot to learn) something like this:

Python as the application platform.  SQLite as an embedded database.  Would
be nice to use QT for user interface.

Outputs needed in PDF format, and possible PDF with fillable forms.

I can probably get my daughter to upgrade to Leopard, but if an app could
be developed on Leopard and run on Tiger, it would be preferable.

Am I out of my mind?

Thanks,

John Velman