[Pythonmac-SIG] 64-bit Python?

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Wed Jun 4 21:16:13 CEST 2008

On 4 Jun, 2008, at 18:02, Chris Kees wrote:

> I'm wondering how to coordinate having python executables in 32 and
> 64 bit mode on the same machine. Will the patched python 2.6 build a
> python and a python64?

I currently build 3 variants: python-32, python-64 and python-all,
with python being an alias for python-32.

> When I build extension models do I then need to build/install each
> module  twice e.g. 'python setup.py install' and 'python64 setup.py
> install'?

No, there is only one tree were all executable files are 4-way
universal.  If you need to run distutils twice you might as well
install two copies of python.

Distutils will always build 4-way universal extensions unless
explictly told otherwise (by and environment variable or explicit '-
arch' flags in the Extension definition).

> Could I help this effort out by starting to work with your branch of
> python 2.6? I've been building a non-framework, non-universal build
> of python to work in 64 bit but it would be nice to take advantage
> of the universal build stuff as well as use some gui tools in 64 bit.

I don't have branch for this, I just have a checkout of python's
subversion tree with my patches applied to that. I will try to commit
tomorrow, and will post instructions on how to build the framework
afterwards.

Ronald