[Pythonmac-SIG] [py2app] how to make a .app running on mac intel 10.5

El Duvelle elescargot at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 2 10:59:10 CEST 2008

Well, today I tried again to launch my app on the mac with Intel, first by launching the file in 'MyApp.app/Contents/MacOS', and the speed was OK. Then I launched the MyApp.app just to try, and the speed was ok too! Whereas before it took at least 10 secondes, this time it  was instantaneous. I don't understand why, I don't think I changed anything...

So I thank you all because my problem is solved.

By the way, with your indications I managed to see that my python and my app were universal. So it is normal that the speed is ok. I just don't undersand why it was so slow before.

Thanks a lot to everybody!

Eleonore

Le 1 juil. 08 à 11:23, El Duvelle a écrit :> It's possible that you got a PPC build, and it's running under Rosetta
> (or whatever they call the PPC emulation) on your Intel box -- does it
> run slow too, or just launch slow?

Yes, it is running under Rosetta. My program isn't a big one, but what is sure is that it launches very slowly. Concerning the running speed, I see no real difference. Rosetta is slow to launch the first time.The second launch must be faster, but not as fast as native application.
> You might try running "file" on the executable in the bundle. It's
> inside the .app bundle, in the MacOS dir. This is what I get in one
> example of mine:
>
> ... Converter.app/Contents/MacOS cbarker$ file Converter
>
> Converter: Mach-O universal binary with 2 architectures
> Converter (for architecture i386): Mach-O executable i386
> Converter (for architecture ppc): Mach-O executable ppc

well, I don't find this file. I can't even go into MyApp.app on the mac. On windows that's possible but in MacOS I just have two files : python and MyApp;On Mac, to open the bundle, just right-click on the App and select (i literally translate from my french version) : "display package content", for my (MacOS X 10.4) it's the third option in the local menu.
Also from the finder, the information box (AppleKey+I) the kinf of app is displayed on the first line : universal, intel or powerpc.Finally the activity monitor (application>utilities show process and also the kind of architecture of the application running).
I'm new with python, but on my iMac Intel i install python 2.5 and last py2app and it build Universal application (both PPC and Intel).I got trouble getting things works with py2app and pygame lib but finally, with the help of this group, it works.