[Pythonmac-SIG] Help with path settings

George Wright georgewr at bigpond.net.au
Wed Jan 30 08:09:21 CET 2008

Piet van Oostrum <piet at cs.uu.nl> wrote:

>> GW> I'm having trouble with PYTHONPATH ..

>> GW> PYTHONPATH =/usr/local/Zope-3.3.0/lib/python
>
>> GW> I want to change this to PYTHONPATH=''
>> GW> I can't find where I set it to the current value.

> I guess you are running Tiger because your system Python is 2.3.

Yes 10.4.11
I guess I should leave the python 2.3 where it is
> There are quite a lot of places where environment variables can be
> set.
>
> E.g. ~/.profile ~/.bashrc ~/.login ~/.bash_profile, ~/.bash_login,
> ~/.cshrc
> ~/.tcshrc
> /etc/csh.cshrc /etc/csh.login /etc/profile /etc/bashrc
> ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist

Well this is a very helpful list. First time I've seen them all at
once. Are there any more?
Turns out that /etc/profile actually listened to my request to:
export PYTHONPATH=''
where the others just ignored it.
In addition I found that it was in:
> ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist
where I had set  PYTHONPATH to
> /usr/local/Zope-3.3.0/lib/python
and then forgot I had done it!
Now I have removed that.
Anyhow it seems to have done the trick. So many thanks.
I will flag your email in case I forget again.

George Wright
http://users.bigpond.net.au/George.Wright/
http://www.labyrinth.net.au/~gwright