[Pythonmac-SIG] Pystone numbers for different Macs...

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Mon Jan 21 08:05:10 CET 2008

On 20 Jan, 2008, at 19:23, Daniel Lord wrote:

> I ran the test  on my 1st Gen Quad Core ( 2 x Quad-core 3.0 GHz, 13GB
> RAM) and was a bit surprised to see  little improvement over the Core
> Duo numbers.
>
> 63019.7 pystones/second
>
> I am assuming the GIL is limiting  threading and therefore I am really
> running on one or two cores--hence the tangible improvement is just
> CPU speed: from 2.33 GHz to 3.0 GHz and a bit of the memory bandwidth
> increase as well.

Pystone is completely single-threaded. Beyond that multi-threaded
Python code cannot make optimal use from multiple CPU's unless most
threads run C code (due to the GIL).

> This is the 32-bit number, I'll find some time to try 64-bit--but
> first want to make sure it doesn't mess up my system as I am using
> Apple Python 2.5.1 exclusively right now and want to avoid the split
> brain problem.

That's easy enough: install the 64-bit version in a location that is
not on your shell's search path, and don't install it as a framework.

Ronald