[Pythonmac-SIG] Pystone numbers for different Macs...

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Sun Jan 20 16:36:09 CET 2008

On 20 Jan, 2008, at 16:27, skip at pobox.com wrote:

>    Ronald> What is interesting though is the difference between 32-
> bit and
>    Ronald> 64-bit code:
>
>    Ronald> Python 2.5.2a0 (60124)
>
>    Ronald> 32-bit: 52083
>    Ronald> 64-bit: 60871
>
>    Ronald> 64-bit code is significantly faster here (all of this on a
>    Ronald> MacBook Pro 2.33Ghz/3GByte)
>
> Thanks.  Is that something available on the entire line of Core 2
> Duo CPUs?
> Is it something I can enable on my dual processor G5 or my G4
> PowerBook?  If
> so, let me know and I'll add more rows.

All Core2 systems are capable of running 64-bit code. I currently
build 64-bit
interpreters using this command-line:

   ./configure --disable-toolbox-glue CFLAGS="-arch x86_64" LDFLAGS="-
arch x86_64" OPT="-arch x86_64 -O3 -fwrapv"

(and then the make/make install dance).  G4 systems cannot run 64-bit
code, G5's are the only PPC systems capable of running 64-bit code.

The framework that Apple ships with leopard is 64-bit as well, but
they don't ship a 64-bit commandline interpreter with it. That's easy
enough to fix, but I haven't managed to actually make time to do that.

Another long term plan, but probably shorter-term now that I know how
much difference running in 64-bit mode makes, is creating a patch for
python-2.6 that makes is possible to do a 4-way universal build on
Leopard systems.

Ronald