[Pythonmac-SIG] Re-beginner's simple question

Charles Hartman charles.hartman at conncoll.edu
Sat Jan 19 20:40:48 CET 2008

I mean *really* simple: I've been away from Python programming for a
couple of years, and I've just gotten a query about an old open-source
program posted on my website. I may have a fix for the problem the
user encountered, at least when I run from inside the Wing IDE.

My question is, what is the current best/simplest way to build a
freestanding application? I tried "python setup.py" with my old
setup.py file, but I get an error: setuptools not found. Maybe I just
need to fix my path? It's been a couple of systems (a couple of
computers, for that matter) since I did this, and though I've kept up
with current versions of Python (2.5), Wing, and wxPython (2.8.x),
I've probably neglected some basic housekeeping.

Pointers to a simple how-to-build-an-app doc would be welcome. Thanks
for any help.

Charles Hartman