[Pythonmac-SIG] building a Python app: syntax error

Nolan Schreiber noliethegoalie at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 10 03:39:49 CET 2008

I have been to a couple of sites and cannot find a fix for a syntax
error I keep coming up with while attempting to make a stand-alone
executable out of some Python script I have written on my mac OS X.
following the guidelines at http://svn.pythonmac.org/py2app/py2app/
trunk/doc/index.html#create-a-setup-py-file, I have setup.py scripted
and saved as a plain text file, seen here:

from ez_setup import use_setuptools
use_setuptools()
py2applet --make-setup RefreshSite.py, Globe.icns

however, when I attempt to build the application in alias mode by
executing

python setup.py py2app -A

I get

python: can't open file 'setup.py'
[Process exited - exit code 2]

and when I try it directly through Terminal I get

File "setup.py", line 3
     py2applet --make-setup RefreshSite.py, Globe.icns

^						Carrot pointing to the e in Site
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

I have everything in the same directory and I have py2app installed.
This is probably a simple fix that I'm just missing as I'm pretty new
to Python, but it's really got me stumped and I need to get this
resolved.

Thank you so much for your help,
Nolan