[Pythonmac-SIG] PIL icns plugin can't display icns file

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Tue Jan 8 08:29:10 CET 2008

On 8 Jan, 2008, at 5:18, Kevin Walzer wrote:

> Kevin Walzer wrote:
>>

>> I'm not sure what is causing Python to barf here. PIL is supposed
>> to be
>> able to create valid Tkinter photo objects, so I don't think the
>> issue
>> is with Tk not recognizing the icns format. Any suggestions?
>>

> To answer my own question, I need to rebuild PIL to link to Tk 8.5. It
> works fine with the system-installed Python (which links to Tk 8.4).

You might wat the be careful with using Tk 8.5 from Python,
appearently there are changes in Tk 8.5 that cause problems with
Tkinter. Martin von Loewis posted about this on the python-dev list a
little while back (I'm pretty sure this was in late december).  His
advise was to stay with Tk 8.4 for python2.5 and warn users that Tk8.5
won't work properly with Tkinter.

Ronald