[Pythonmac-SIG] Status of Python 3.0 for Mac?

Dav Clark dav at alum.mit.edu
Mon Dec 15 18:15:12 CET 2008

On Dec 15, 2008, at 7:50 AM, Conan C. Albrecht wrote:

> It's easy to have two or three Python installations.  They all sit
> in different directories and don't mess with each other.

Not entirely true.  For example, anything that compiles against python
with a bare "-framework Python" flag will grab the (I think) Current
dir from /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions

This is fine if you are just playing with user-installed builds, but
will mask your system python and prevent you from installing such libs
to it.  One such example is VTK, which has a horrendously complicated
build system.  You can specify your system python in three separate
places, and still it will link against the user-installed one!

But, if you're not doing anything "crazy," you're probably fine.  The
only example I've found so far is the VTK bindings.  I've tried filing
that as a bug with VTK twice now and failed, BTW.

Cheers,
Dav